The Tennis Spot

Designed to provide news, information, opinion and insight about the great game of Tennis.

08 August 2005

Rogers Cup and a Henman Disaster... Again!

Well I am excited to see some Master Series caliber tennis on the television. The Rogers Cup is taking place in Montreal Canada this week. The Rogers Cup is the sixth of nine Masters Series events that take place throughout the tennis "season". I must admit I am tired of watching mediocre American tennis on blue courts, although the Rogers Cup adopted the US Open Series court coloring scheme. I am not entirely sold on these courts yet. I am also pretty disappointed in the Rogers Cup playing field. Several of the top tier players have withdrawn, most notably Roger Federer and Marat Safin. With those 2 names missing from the draw I consider this tournament a considerable dissapointment.
Well it appears that tiger Tim may have packed it in for the summer. My heart aches watching Tim play. I confess, I am a Henmaniac, what a terrible thing to do to ones self. Tim might be the most erratic perform on the ATP tour. I have never witnessed such up and down play as when I watch Tim. At times it appears as if not an intelligent thought is running through his mind in regard to shot selection. Then sometimes he plays some of the most beautiful and intelligent ball around. It hurts to watch him most of the time. Last year Tim had his greatest year ever. He reached number six in the rankings (not his highest ever) and reached 2 slam semi-finals (amazingly neither were Wimbledon). I had high hopes for him this season but all those were washed away a long time ago. This year at Wimbledon he made a shocking 2nd round exit since then he has made back to back 1st round exits and is yet to win a match since Wimbledon. Geez, who needs a drink? My hope is that Tim can get some rest and get himself ready for the US Open where he had his best showing ever last year. C'mon Tim!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home