The Tennis Spot

Designed to provide news, information, opinion and insight about the great game of Tennis.

10 August 2005

Television Coverage

ESPN continues to provide poor coverage of tennis. It mystifies me how the ESPN networks treat the game of tennis. I mean, they provide better coverage of poker, POKER! It is crazy. I made sure to be home this evening to catch the latest action from the Rogers Cup. I had my dinner and my drink ready, I sat down in front of the TV and what did I find? You guessed it, a replay of Andre Agassi's match from this morning, I was furious to say the least. Don't get me wrong, I will watch tennis anytime I can. It is so scarce these days I have to catch it any time it is around. That said, I do not have to be happy with the coverage that is being provided. ESPN has labeled itself, "The Grand Slam network", what a joke. Yes, they do air 3 of the 4 slams but the coverage is second rate. They showcase American players or "it" players. They will opt out of covering the best match (on paper or otherwise) to cover a second or third rate American on an outside court. ESPN has built its tennis coverage around Andy Roddick, Maria Sharapova and the Williams sisters. Regardless of who is playing elsewhere these players supersede. Roger Federer could be playing Rod Laver on Court One but if Taylor Dent is playing the 253rd ranked player in the world, we, the viewing public will see that match instead. I know this is a slippery slop I am on. I love watching tennis, I really do. But i want to see the best tennis available not "the next hot American". I think my true passion and love for tennis shows itself in these feelings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home